- 1/2 cup raw almonds*
- 1-1/2 cups almond milk*, unsweetened (or milk of choice)
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup applesauce*, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal*
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon liquid chocolate stevia, 1/4 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, chopped nuts, shredded coconut, dried chopped fruit
* Make this nut free by removing the almonds and using milk of choice, increase flax and applesauce to 1/2 cup. Bake as recipe follows.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop your almonds in your blender or food processor. Add your pitted dates and almond milk in a high powdered blender or food processor (slowly, a few at a time). Add chia seeds, applesauce, cocoa and salt and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and add your cooked quinoa and flaxseed meal. Prepare an 8 by 8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or use parchment paper. Place your cocoa quinoa mixture into the prepared dish and spread evenly. Add optional toppings. Bake for 45 -60 minutes or until firmly set on top. Mine were perfect at 45. Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting into 12 squares. Keep refrigerated or wrap in plastic wrap and freeze.
The kids liked it, asking for more, the dog found one too and seemed to enjoy it as well!
Do you have any great recipes using quinoa?